List with Best Fake Reality Movies which I saw personally and liked:
- Serenity (2019) – Directed by Steven Knight
A fishing boat captain juggles facing his mysterious past and finding himself ensnared in a reality where nothing is what it seems.
With: Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Diane Lane
- Ready Player One (2018), by Steven Spielberg
When the creator of a virtual reality called OASIS go past, he makes a posthumous challenge to all OASIS users to find their Easter egg, which will give the finder wealth & control over his world.
with: Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke, Ben Mendelsohn
- The Congress (2013) – By Ari Folman and Stanislaw Lem
An elderly, unemployed actress accepts one last job, although the consequences of her decision affect her in ways she did not consider.
With: Robin Wright, Harvey Keitel, Jon Hamm
- Source Code (2011) – by Duncan Jones
A soldier wakes up in someone else’s body & discovers that he is part of a government experimental program to find the bomber of a commuter train within 8 minutes.
With: Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan, Vera Farmiga
- Inception (2010), by Christopher Nolan
A thief who steals corporate secret by using dream-sharing technology is given the reverse task of planting an idea in the mind of a C.E.O.
With: Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Elliot Page
- Tron Legacy (2010), by Joseph Kosinski
The son of a virtual world designer, he looks for his father and arrives in the digital world that his father designed. He meets his father’s corrupt creation and a unique ally who was born into the digital world.
With: Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde
- Cargo (2009) , by Ivan Engler, Ralph Etter
Dr. Laura P. is engaged on a cargo ship for 4 years plus 4 years ago. She will join her sister on Rhea. 44 months later, in exchange for Laura, strange things happen in the cargo. The crew is resuscitated and the captain dies mysteriously.
With: Anna Katharina Schwabroh, Martin Rapold, Regula Grauwiller
- Avatar (2009), by James Cameron
A paraplegic soldier sent to Pandora on the moon on a unique mission becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home.
With: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver
- Surrogates (2009), by Jonathan Mostow
Set in a futuristic world of the future where people live in isolation and interact through surrogate robots, a police officer is forced to leave his home for the first time in recent years to investigate the killing of others’ surrogates.
With: Bruce Willis, Radha Mitchell, Ving Rhames
- The Nines (2007), unknowingly to the viewer, is focused completely on the subject of simulated reality
An actor with problems, a runner of television shows and an acclaimed video game designer find his life intertwined in mysterious and disturbing ways.
With: Ryan Reynolds, Hope Davis, Melissa McCarthy
- The Island (2005), directed by Michael Bay
A man living in a futuristic colony begins to question his circumscribed existence when his friend is chosen to go to the island, the last uncontaminated place on earth.
With: Scarlett Johansson, Ewan McGregor, Djimon Hounsou
- The Forgotten (2004) – is slightly different from the other movies and it’s not about fake reality — but it is about manipulated reality & hidden controllers!
After being told that their children never existed, a man and a woman soon discover that there is a much larger enemy hidden in the shadows.
With: ulianne Moore, Dominic West, Christopher Kovaleski
- Cube 2: Hypercube (2002) written by Sean Hoodthan they led in the previous 24 hours, reminiscent of last Thursdayism
Eight strangers wake up without memory, in a tangled cube-shaped room where the laws of physics do not always apply.
With: Kari Matchett, Geraint Wyn Davies, Grace Lynn Kung
- Die Another Day (2002), James Bond, shows the protagonist wearing VR glasses which very closely reflect reality
James Bond is sent to investigate the connection between a North Korean terrorist and a diamond mogul, who is funding the development of an international space weapon.
With: Pierce Brosnan, Halle Berry, Rosamund Pike
- Avalon (2001), by Mamoru Oshii
In a futuristic-dystopian world, a woman spends her time playing an illegal and dangerous game, hoping to find meaning in her world.
With: Malgorzata Foremniak, Wladyslaw Kowalski, Jerzy Gudejko
- Vanilla Sky (2001), by Cameron Crowe (a remake of Abre los ojos by Alejandro Amenábar)
A self-indulgent & vain publishing magnate finds his privileged life upended after a vehicular accident with a resentful lover.
With: Tom Cruise, Penélope Cruz, Cameron Diaz
- The Matrix series (1999–2003), by the Wachowski brothers
When a handsome stranger leads the hacker Neo into an underworld, he discovers the shocking truth – the life he knows is the elaborate deception of bad cyber-information.
With: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss
- The Thirteenth Floor (1999), directed by Josef Rusnak
A computer scientist who has been performing a virtual reality simulation since 1937 becomes the main suspect when his colleague and mentor are murdered.
With: Craig Bierko, Gretchen Mol, Armin Mueller-Stahl
- eXistenZ (1999), by David Cronenberg, in which level switches occur so seamlessly and numerously that at the end of the movie it is difficult to tell whether the main characters are back in “reality”
A game designer fleeing assassins must play the latest virtual reality creation with a marketing intern to determine if the game has been damaged.
With: Jude Law, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Ian Holm
- The Truman Show (1998), in which the titular character unknowingly lives his entire life in a false reality created to make a voyeur television show about him
An insurance salesman discovers that his whole life is in fact a reality TV show.
With: Jim Carrey, Ed Harris, Laura Linney
- Dark City (1998) by Alex Proyas, in which the sim is halted every night at midnight, rearranged, and then restarted; people are given false memories of different lives
A man struggling with memories of his past, which include a wife he can’t remember and a nightmare world no one else seems to ever wake up from!
With: Rufus Sewell, Kiefer Sutherland, Jennifer Connelly
- Lost Highway (1997), by David Lynch
Anonymous videotapes presage a musician’s murder conviction, & a gangster’s girlfriend leads a mechanic astray.
With: Bill Pullman, Patricia Arquette, John Roselius
- Brainscan (1994), by John Flynn
A teenager is part of an interactive video game where he kills innocent victims baut later, the murders become real!
With: Edward Furlong, Frank Langella, T. Ryder Smith
- Total Recall (1990), directed by Paul Verhoeven and based on the Philip K. Dick story “We Can Remember It for You Wholesale”
When a man goes in to have virtual vacation with memories of the planet Mars implanted in his mind, an unexpected & harrowing series of events forces him to go to the planet for real – or is he?
With: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sharon Stone, Michael Ironside
- Jacob’s Ladder (1990), thriller directed by Adrian Lyne
Weeping over his dead child, a veteran haunted by the Vietnam War tries to discover his past while suffering from a severe case of dissociation. To do this, he must decipher reality and life from his own dreams, illusions and perceptions about death.
With: Tim Robbins, Elizabeth Peña, Danny Aiello
- Brainstorm (1983), science fiction film directed by Douglas Trumbull and starring Christopher Walken and Natalie Wood
Researchers are developing a system that can enter people’s minds. But when the people involved bring their personal problems into the equation, it becomes dangerous and maybe deadly.
With: Christopher Walken, Natalie Wood, Louise Fletcher